[CentOS] Static assignment of SCSI device names?

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Thu Jan 27 21:09:04 UTC 2011

On 1/27/2011 2:41 PM, Chuck Munro wrote:

> Identifying drives by their ID string (which includes the drive's serial
> number) and assigning names in the rules works ok.   BUT, what happens
> when I have to swap out a failed drive?  The serial number (and possibly
> model number) changes, and the udev assignment should fail, probably
> assigning an unexpected /dev/sd? name.  RAID rebuild would choke until I
> change the MD device assignment.

If you can figure things out for the initial md device creation,
subsequent assembly uses the uuid to match up the members and doesn't
care if the disks have been moved around either physically or by
detection order.  And if you are hot-swapping drives and rebuilding
manually, you should be able to find the just-assigned name with 'dmesg'.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com