[CentOS] Cold install kernel .config file

Tom G Murphy

tmurphy at conveycomputer.com
Fri Jan 28 21:19:22 UTC 2011

Convey uses a highly modified CentOS kernel to work with our attach
coprocessor.  Currently to setup a system for delivery we do a cold
install using a "stock" CentOS cold install using kickstart.  During
that cold install we lay down our modified kernel and reboot the
system with that kernel.  After the reboot we are able to access the
coprocessor management processor and down load updated firmware then
reboot the system to have a completed install.

My goal is to be able to boot a "modified" kernel on the cold install
step so we can download the firmware updates and eliminate the second
boot.

I have tried using using the bzImage generated from the modified
kernel build but that kernel fails to be able to load the kickstart
file :-(

I have done searches trying to find the .config file used to build the
kernel booted during cold install but have had no luck.

I am guessing I have either have too much or too little included in
the kernel.   I tried to make sure everything I thought was needed
were not modules but included in the kernel.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
---
Tom Murphy
Platform Support