[CentOS] How to relocate $HOME directory

Rudi Ahlers Rudi at SoftDux.com
Mon Jan 31 05:18:48 UTC 2011

On Sun, Jan 30, 2011 at 11:07 PM, Soo-Hyun Choi <s.choi at terabit.org.uk> wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> As you know, $HOME is generally located at "/home/$username" by default.
>
> I would like to re-locate all users' $HOME directories to something like
> "/export/home/$username" without having a hassle/trouble.
>
> Initially, I've thought of just copying them to the new directory (under
> /export/home/xxx), but guessed it might trouble for the normal use (I'm
> pretty new to CentOS, although many experiences with Debian/Ubuntu).
>
> Is there any good tricks (or caveats) when moving users' home directory
> cleanly with CentOS? (I'm with CentOS 5.5 x86_64)
>
> Cheers,
> Soo-Hyun

The easiest way would be to move (or copy) everything in /home to
/export/home, and then remount /home on /export/home in your fstab.

Before you remount it, you may want to rename it to say /oldhome or
/home2 or something like that, and then if everything works fine then
you simply delete it :)

--
Kind Regards
Rudi Ahlers