[CentOS] How to relocate $HOME directory

Kenneth Porter shiva at sewingwitch.com
Mon Jan 31 08:34:40 UTC 2011

--On Monday, January 31, 2011 12:55 AM -0500 Nico Kadel-Garcia
<nkadel at gmail.com> wrote:

> This tends to break symlinks and hard-coded script locations. In
> particular, Samba and Apache make some assumptions about where home
> directories live that you might want to resolve if you enable homedir
> access for or public_html access for those tools.

I'd be surprised if such well-written packages didn't simply use the value
from /etc/passwd (acquired by the appropriate API, such as getpwent(3)).
Remember also that Samba and Apache are written to be used on other than
Linux, and other OS's might not keep their home directories in the same
place.

As Tom H points out, the big issue is to set the selinux attributes of home
directories not in the more common location.