[CentOS] Groups

m.roth at 5-cent.us m.roth at 5-cent.us
Mon Jan 31 16:53:57 UTC 2011

Nicolas Thierry-Mieg wrote:
> Todd wrote:
>>      > On one of my servers I have a personal account and root. I
>>     disable root for ssh logins and run ssh on an alternative port. When
>>     'scp'ing files I usually scp them up, then ssh in 'su' root and move
>>     them to /var/www/html.

Or sudo. Or you can have a cron job that looks and moves, that runs as root.
>>      >
>>      > I can sftp I realize, but what group can I add my personal
>>     account to, but not root, so I can sftp in and put the files in
>>     /var/www/html?
<snip>
>> With /var/www/html owned by root:root and me loggin in as 'jason' I
>> cannot accomplish this. I don't allow root logins over ssh...
<snip>
>> Would I change /var/www/html/<my domain> owner to myid:mygroup? I am not
>> sure the famifications of this and how Apache would behave, etc.
>
> The whole of /var/www can belong to myid:mygroup as long as the apache
<snip>
Not a great idea. Rather, I'd recommend that it be the apache user (apache
or httpd, whichever you have it as, and have the directory of a group that
you belong to (remember, you can have multiple secondary groups, like,
say, group httpd), and make it group writeable.

       mark