[CentOS] can't start iscsi - and can't find answer on google

Mon Jan 17 08:59:53 UTC 2011
Rudi Ahlers <Rudi at SoftDux.com>

Hi all,

I have the strangest problem on one of our backup server. iscsi
doesn't start at all, and gives the following error:

[root at 2U-NAS ~]# /etc/init.d/iscsi status
iscsid is stopped

[root at 2U-NAS ~]# /etc/init.d/iscsi start
iscsid is stopped
Starting iSCSI daemon: Unable to create pid file:
/var/run/brcm_iscsiuio.pid
     [FAILED]
Setting up iSCSI targets: iscsiadm: No records found!
                                                           [  OK  ]

[root at 2U-NAS ~]# /etc/init.d/iscsi restart
Stopping iSCSI daemon: iscsiadm: can not connect to iSCSI daemon (111)!
iscsiadm: initiator reported error (20 - could not connect to iscsid)
iscsiadm: Could not stop iscsid. Trying sending iscsid SIGTERM or
SIGKILL signals manually

iscsid is stopped                                          [  OK  ]
Starting iSCSI daemon: Unable to create pid file:
/var/run/brcm_iscsiuio.pid
     [FAILED]
Setting up iSCSI targets: iscsiadm: No records found!
                                                           [  OK  ]

All other services on this machine works fine and could write their
pid file, but not iscsi.
Google search didn't help me much with this error either. I've
uninstalled and reinstalled iSCSi but that doesn't help either.

This is on CentOS 5.5

[root at 2U-NAS ~]# uname -a
Linux 2U-NAS 2.6.18-194.32.1.el5xen #1 SMP Wed Jan 5 18:44:24 EST 2011
x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
[root at 2U-NAS ~]# cat /etc/redhat-release
CentOS release 5.5 (Final)

Has anyone seen this before?

--
Kind Regards