[CentOS] automated remote cloning

Sun Jan 2 16:55:48 UTC 2011
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

On 1/1/11 5:50 AM, Geoff Galitz wrote:
> Good morning/day and Happy New Year.
> We have a geographically distributed environment (marketing speak: cloud) where
> we regularly need to migrate individual systems to new hardware (for bigger
> disks or for better geographical placement, for example). We currently use
> Cobbler to do our base installs automatically and I am now looking at
> integrating Clonezilla with Cobbler. The goal is take an *individual* system
> that has been customized and migrate it in an automated fashion.
> We currently do this using Cobbler and then running rsync and mysqldump in a
> script along with other system -> userland module configurations (such as PHP
> modules) but the process is tedious and generally a PITA. We also must have the
> ability to run this across different datacenters on different continents.
> Any pointers to good automated solutions?

Clonezilla is probably the only thing that doesn't lock you into a single
OS/distribution.  It works as long as the hardware is similar and the target
disk is as large or larger than the source, but unless you use DHCP for IP
addressing on all NICs you can expect problems with losing your static configs
when cloning.   I don't think it would be efficient to clone a large number of
individualized copies remotely from a central location though. You'd probably
want a generic image you could cache locally, followed by a scripted update of
the differences.   Clonezilla also does not have a handy way to clone an
existing machine to one with larger disks letting you specify new
arbitrarily-sized partitions (although it can resize them all proportionally).

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com