[CentOS] Grub upgrade for CentOS 5.5?

Mon Jan 3 10:15:36 UTC 2011
Ned Slider <ned at unixmail.co.uk>

On 03/01/11 07:23, Ron Blizzard wrote:
> Stupid question (I'm guessing). I'm currently tri-booting (or would
> like to be) VectorLinux 6 Deluxe, CentOS 5.5 and an evaluation copy of
> Red Hat 6. I'm using CentOS's grub. VectorLinux and CentOS boot fine,
> but Red Hat won't load. I think I read somewhere that CentOS's grub is
> too old for ext3, 256 (something or others).
>
> So, is it possible to download and install a newer version of grub for
> CentOS 5.5? (This has been a problem with other tri-boot attempts). If
> not, is their a way to boot Red Hat from the install DVD? Since it's
> only a 30 day evaluation, booting from DVD or CD would be fine, but I
> don't see the option.
>
> Thanks for any pointers.

You don't need to upgrade grub, I'm quite happily dual booting rhel6 GA
on a CentOS-5 system (using C-5 GRUB).

Only thing I did differently is the rhel6 /boot partition is mounted on
an ext3 partition whereas I _think_ the default might be ext4 which, as
a wild guess, is probably unsupported by CentOS-5 GRUB ?

The rest of the system is quite happily sitting in an ext4 partition
using md raid on lvm.