[CentOS] using kvm

Wed Jan 5 17:24:48 UTC 2011
Flaherty, Patrick <pflaherty at wsi.com>

>From what I remember "-cpu" is to tell the vm what cpu extensions are
available. I always just use  "-cpu host" which has kvm pass in all the
cpu extensions that the host processor has.

Using WindowsXP mode on a windows 7 VM sounds dirty. XP mode used to
require virtualization hardware, now it doesn't. Perhaps passing in a
cpu that doesn't have virtualization extensions is the way to make
windows go the non-hardware route. I would expect the performance to be
abysmal, but it would be a neat trick.

Patrick