[CentOS] if you install cgi programs from rpm, how to configure for actual use in /var/www/html ?

Wed Jan 5 17:40:44 UTC 2011

Paul Johnson wrote:
> In Centos 5.5, I've had this same experience over and over.  I have no
> trouble installing CGI programs the old fashioned way (untar into
> /var/www/html and configure), but don't like un-rpm managed files
> floating about.  So I can install, for example, phpMyAdmin, from EPEL.
>
> That phpMyAdmin RPM drops files into a bunch of locations, the php
> files are under /usr/share/phpMysql
<snip>
The typical php "method": scatter things every-bloody-where.

Two suggestions, instead of copying:
  1) modify the php.ini to have its path point everywhere, or
  2) instead of copying, make symbolic links, so that there's only one copy.

         mark