[CentOS] fstab multiple line entries?

Wed Jan 5 20:58:17 UTC 2011
Brunner, Brian T. <BBrunner at gai-tronics.com>

This is ambiguous as it stands; many tools understand 'line
continuation' by a '\n' meaning multiple human-readable-lines treated as
a single input line, however it appears fstab (meaning the tools that
read it) do not promise to abide this continue-the-previous-line
tradition.

Perhaps http://linux.die.net/man/3/getmntent has useful info, but the
man pages are about as ambiguous on this detail as anything I've seen.
"The proper way to read records from fstab is to use the routines
getmntent(3)" is about as ... as ...

For further mudification, see
http://www.linux-faqs.com/man/htmlman3/getmntent.3.html
Zealously masochistic types can ref
http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/doc/821-1465/getmntent-3c?l=en&n=1&a=view
as well.

Nobody gives a clear answer to your question, so I suppose any flavor of
Linux can do any thing it pleases, and can alternate whether it does or
does not honor the '\n' tradition on alternate releases.