[CentOS] [OT] RHEVM List

Thu Jan 6 13:17:39 UTC 2011
Simon Grinberg <simon at redhat.com>

> For RHEL 5 and CentOS 5, I found KVM to be useless. The management
> tool is not good, and the bridged networking requirement is very
> awkward, and it performed like a dog being beaten with a missing leg.

What guest OS have you tried?
RHEL5.4 and up come with Virtio drivers so using virtio devices RHEL 5.4+guests will provide good preformance

> I'm interested in trying it for RHEL 6 and CentOS 6,

Indeed you should see performance boost on RHEL6

> but until then
> I'm personally relying on VMWare ESX for institution virtualization,

Then you should compare to RHEV and not to RHEL + virt-manager
(RHEV also has Virtio drivers for windows guests)

> and Virtualbox because it's a much more usable configuration interface
> tool and uses "Right-Ctrl" to release the mouse from the virtualized
> console instead of "Ctrl-Alt".

With RHEV you'll have SPICE, that does not need both as after installation of the guest tools it does not grab the mouse.