[CentOS] if you install cgi programs from rpm, how to configure for actual use in /var/www/html ?

Fri Jan 7 17:48:06 UTC 2011
Cia Watson <ciamarie at my180.net>

On Thu, 6 Jan 2011 22:31:58 -0600
Paul Johnson <pauljohn32 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 5, 2011 at 11:46 AM, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > On 1/5/2011 10:42 AM, Paul Johnson wrote:
>

> > What is keeping it from working with the supplied:
> > Alias /phpMyAdmin /usr/share/phpMyAdmin
> > (i.e. to the install location)?
> >
> > --
> >   Les Mikesell
> >    lesmikesell at gmail.com
>
> You mean to say it does work for you, as delivered? Or that it ought
> to work for me, but you are just guessing?
>
> In RedHat 6, at least, I cannot get ANY application to work if it does
> not offer files up from /var/www/html (no matter what the http config
> says).  I now *THINK* the reason is SELinux.  I understand http
> configuration, SELinux is a whole different problem.  I  understand
> the concept, but the tools to configure it are mysterious.  The system
> will not offer things from /usr/share or whatnot, even if I alter the
> httpd config to allow it. The mediawiki RPM comes along with an
> httpd.conf file that tries to allow it.  But the system won't allow
> it.  Today I realized will not allow symbolic links from /var/www/html
> pointing into "safe" parts of the file system.

In case this helps, this was the setup I had for the beta of RHEL
v6 (still have, I just don't boot to that partition much) in my
httpd.conf file for an alias for phpmyadmin, I just followed the
example for the Alias icons already in the file:

Alias phpMyAdmin "/usr/share/phpMyAdmin"

<Directory "/usr/share/phpMyAdmin">
    Options Indexes MultiViews FollowSymLinks
    AllowOverride None
    Order allow,deny
    Allow from all
</Directory>

And for virtual hosts under localhost I had the 'default'
under /var/www/html and the others under /var/www (i.e. testsite1 and
2). No SELinux issues then, but that was the beta.

Cia W