[CentOS] if you install cgi programs from rpm, how to configure for actual use in /var/www/html ?

Fri Jan 7 18:04:40 UTC 2011
Cia Watson <ciamarie at my180.net>

On Fri, 7 Jan 2011 11:08:39 +0000
Dave Cross <davorg at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 5 January 2011 16:42, Paul Johnson <pauljohn32 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > In Centos 5.5, I've had this same experience over and over.  I have
> > no trouble installing CGI programs the old fashioned way (untar into
> > /var/www/html and configure), but don't like un-rpm managed files
> > floating about.  So I can install, for example, phpMyAdmin, from
> > EPEL.

> I don't think that step is necessary. The contents of
> /etc/httpd/conf.d/phpMyAdmin.conf (specifically the two Alias lines)
> should ensure that the software works fine without moving it.
>
> I don't have a Centos box that I can test on right now, but I've just
> installed phpMyAdmin on this Fedora 14 box for the first time (using
> yum) and it all just works. All I did was to restart the server.
>
> If it's not working for you, then are you sure that your Apache is
> configured to use the files in /etc/httpd/conf.d? If the config file
> is being loaded successfully, then I can't see why it wouldn't work.

I just checked the conf.d for RHEL v6 beta and there isn't a
phpmyadmin.conf, which is probably why I added the alias to the
httpd.conf file. fwiw.

So perhaps it's added on Fedora but not on RHEL / CentOS when you
install phpmyadmin?