[CentOS] Set font and size in xterm

Fri Jan 7 21:39:49 UTC 2011
Robert Heller <heller at deepsoft.com>

> On Fri, 7 Jan 2011, James B. Byrne wrote:
>
> > To: centos at centos.org
> > From: James B. Byrne <byrnejb at harte-lyne.ca>
> > Subject: [CentOS] Set font and size in xterm
> >
> > I have a situation where gnome console does not handle vt102 escape
> > sequences properly and therefor need to employ xterm instead.  When
> > I run xterm from a gnome terminal window I am presented with an
> > extremely small terminal window employing an almost unreadably small
> > font.
>
> Have you tried using konsole from KDE desktop packages?
>
> kdebase-3.5.4-21.el5.centos.1.i386 : K Desktop Environment
> - core files
> Repo        : updates
> Matched from:
> Filename    : /usr/bin/konsole
>
> That works well under most linux desktops.
>
> Keith

Or, you put the desired options for your XTerm in the X11 options
database using xrdb.

Create a .Xdefaults and arrange to load it during X session
startup (I have no clue if the GNome desktop system even looks for this
file).  If GNome does not do this on itself, include a line like

xrdb .Xdefaults

in a script run at X session start up.

Into this file you will want something like:

XTerm*background:       green
XTerm*foreground:       black
XTerm*cursorColor:      red
Xterm*VT100*geometry:   80x38
XTerm*scrollBar:        true
XTerm*font:     -misc-fixed-medium-r-normal-*-15-*-*-*-*-*-*-1

This is *my* setup: my xterms have a green background, with black text,
a red cursor, an VT100 geometry of 80x38 (characters), with a scrollbar,
and using the font specified by
'-misc-fixed-medium-r-normal-*-15-*-*-*-*-*-*-1'.

More information:

man xrdb
man xterm