[CentOS] Centos 5.5 - Kernel Panic while booting.

Sat Jan 8 01:14:56 UTC 2011
David Latham <david at thelinuxcdstore.com>

On 01/08/2011 06:00 AM, centos-request at centos.org wrote:
> Message: 15 Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2011 11:20:41 -0800 From: Scott Silva
> <ssilva at sgvwater.com> Subject: Re: [CentOS] Centos 5.5 - Kernel Panic
> while booting. To: centos at centos.org Message-ID:
> <ig54m9$rvm$1 at dough.gmane.org> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8
> on 1-5-2011 3:50 AM David Latham spake the following:
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > When I make DVDs of Centos and any others for that matter, I take the
>> > following steps:
>> >
>> > 1. Find an official torrent if possible.  (Centos has torrents for the DVD.
>> > Unfortunately no Jigdo so far as I know.)
>> >
> Jigdo is a Debianism... Don't know too many places outside of their community
> using it. It seems to be a cross between bittorrent and rsync...

Except for Fedora (for example) which is a Redhat project and Centos is
a Redhat clone so it can't be only Debian.  I know a developer debian
started for debian and it works very well for debian due to their
package naming conventions,  but other distros are picking it up.

Its far better than bitrorrent or rsync in that jigdo downloads the
individual packages and then makes the iso images from these packages.
This means that every package and file on the iso image is verified at
the point of download allowing for a much safer download.

Also, it is possible to mount an existing ISO and tell jigdo about this
mount so that any packages which are duplicated exactly in the new iso
do NOT need to be downloaded again.

This is handy in Fedora for example when one wants to create the CD Set
after already having downloaded the DVD.  Why download the same thing
twice.  In my experience, the DVD provides all 6 CDs and approximately
10 small files are needed to be downloaded to complete the whole CD set.

Here is the link to the Fedora all formats page showing the jigdo option
nicely highlighted.

http://fedoraproject.org/en/get-fedora-all

Regards
David Latham