[CentOS] Customizing Centos

Sat Jan 8 18:34:38 UTC 2011
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

On 1/8/11 12:10 PM, Rudi Ahlers wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 8, 2011 at 8:05 PM, derleader __<derleader at abv.bg>  wrote:
>> Hi,
>>     I want to ask you is it legal to create my own distribution based on Red
>> Hat/Centos and to sell it under different name? I will make available for
>> everyone to see the source code. Is this against the license agreement?
>>

> Yes, you can customize the distro as you see fit. Many projects do
> this. But, you can't sell it.

There's no restriction in the GPL to prevent you from selling things.  You just
just can't prohibit the buyer/recipient from redistributing it under the GPL
terms and you have to make source available. Some of the other licenses are
different, but none prevent redistribution and none that I know of have terms
that would prevent that redistribution being a sale.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com