[CentOS] yum difference

Mon Jan 10 00:35:56 UTC 2011
Nico Kadel-Garcia <nkadel at gmail.com>

On Sun, Jan 9, 2011 at 7:30 PM, derleader mail <derleader at abv.bg> wrote:

>>> http://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/enterprise/6Server/en/os/SRPMS/yum-rhn-plugin-0.9.1-5.el6.src.rpm
>>>
>>> Is this the package?
>>
>>Yes, and it has a stack of dependencies to manage RHEL authentication.
>>Frankly, I always disable it except on a host that is downloading a
>>local RHEL mirror with "reposync", and which is my local yum
>>repository. That makes the components available to non-root users for
>>review and downloading, one of the great flaws of that plugin.
>

> Do you know where I can find extensive information how the mechanism of
> updates works. Is there development documentation which shows how the source
> code works? So far I haven't seen such papers. I'm not experienced developer
> so I can't trace the source code to see how it works.

The "yum-rhn-plugin" is "up2date" in sheep's clothing. Review the
older, RHEL 4 documentation on "up2date" to understand how it works,
and you can review the source code itself. I understand that it's
based on the "spacewalk" toolkit: you can investigate and even buy
support for RHN in-house, but it's Oracle based, and a significant
configuration burden to run your own.

I don't bother. reposync and yum configurations, baby, with some
manual kickstart integration. For environments of less than 1000
systems, that's plenty if you can do shell scripts or Makefiles
intelligently.