[CentOS] latest kernel - version question

Mon Jan 10 01:33:29 UTC 2011
Kevin K <k_krieser at sbcglobal.net>

>> Don't forget AMD's K6 processors -- these are also i586 processors.
>
> I have an AMD K6 that won't boot Fedora 7 (or later) due to missing
> some bit of architecture (I forget specifics, sorry...). So I suspect
> it's not truly an i586 processor? (fwiw, It did boot and install Linux
> Mint 9, LXDE however.)
>
> I didn't know the difference 10 years ago when I bought it, though it
> had Win98 installed which was fine back then... Now it's barely
> adequate as a print server.

My last attempt to run a later kernel on a 586 or older was with EL 3.  But if the system was rebuilt, it lost the updated native threads introduced in 3 (RH 9).  The GLIBC apparently required a 686 or later to support it.