[CentOS] Centos installation Vs Disk partitioning

Mon Jan 10 14:37:11 UTC 2011
Brian Mathis <brian.mathis at gmail.com>

On Mon, Jan 10, 2011 at 3:03 AM, Roland RoLaNd <r_o_l_a_n_d at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Dear all,
> I'm trying to setup a development server which hosts a number of virtual hosts.
> and i need your advice with the following:
>
> 1. What's the best Filesystem to be used with an apache server?
>
> Relevant info:
>
> i. Mysql DB size' 1 GB
> ii. Code directory size' 8 GB (Max file size is 5 KB)
>
> 2. What's the best file structure to maximize seek time from drives?
>
> Relevant info:
>
> i. 2 X 1 TB SATAII 64MB blk Edition Int HDD
>
> ii. 1 X 320GB
>
> General info:
>
> I have an additional directory which hosts all my code under /Development .
> this directory has a size of almost 300 GB.
> 14 Virtual Hosts would be created on the server under /etc/httpd/VHosts/
>
> I was thinking of the following structure:
>
> Drive A (320 GB): OS
> Drive B (1 TB): Mysql + /home
> Drive C (1 TB): /development + /opt
>
> Would this work? i followed no guidelines with the above setup, it's just
> using my own logic. so i'd appreciate an expert advice with this.
> Thanks,
> --Roland

Filesystem is almost always irrelevant.  If you don't already know
that you need something special, use the default.  The only potential
issue would be if you have a lot of small files in one directory, or
an extremely large disk.

A daily rsync is not enough for protection against disk failures, and
disks are exceedingly cheap.  Your estimated disk usage is 9GB, and
you have 2x 1TB drives.  There's no excuse for not making that into a
RAID.  The Linux caching subsystems will handle most of the
performance concerns you might have, as it will automatically cache
things you use often.  Don't think too much about one thing that has
little benefit, while neglecting other things that do.