[CentOS] Mount Point Ownership & Group

Sun Jan 16 13:25:57 UTC 2011
Robert Heller <heller at deepsoft.com>

> I am facing problems assigning the owner and group to an ext3
> filesystem being mounted from an external storage. I created a mount
> point /vol and changed its owner and group  to alpha and beta
> respectively (as required). The ext3 filesystem (LV from the external
> storage) was then mounted on /vol using the mount command. However,
> after mounting the filesystem the owner and group of /vol changed back
> to root.
>
> How do I ensure that the owner and group for this (and other) external
> filesystem to be mounted dynamically are preserved as required ? The
> mount options uid and gid don't seem to work for ext3 filesystems. Are
> there any other options for this purpose?

The ownership of the mount point is irelevant and has no effect on the
ownership of the mounted file system.

You need to change the ownership of the *file system* root directory
itself.

Mount the ext3 filesystem and *then* change the owner and group.  Of
course, whatever you set it to will be whatever it is on any other Linux
system the volumn is mounted on.