[CentOS] Troubles for an non-IT beginner

Sun Jan 16 19:24:41 UTC 2011
Robert Heller <heller at deepsoft.com>

> On Sun, Jan 16, 2011 at 6:45 PM, Robert Heller <heller at deepsoft.com> wrote:
>
> > How can I know that I have to use i386 or x86_64, my machine is not very
> > new
> > > though.
> >
> > How old is it?
> >

> It is some two years old and I guess after seeing the things that it could
> be 32 bit which is in requirement.

Even if two years old it *could* be 64-bit.  Do you have the make and
model? Did you try searching (with http://www.google.com/) using the
make and model number as search terms?

> >  There is one DVD and a bunch of CDs.  The files have names that
> > identify what they are.  You want the one with 'DVD' in its name (there
> > is both a direct download and one link for torrent (the link name as
> > 'torrent' in it).  The ones in the above directory are for 32-bit
> > machines (i386).
> >

> I need only one CD, isn't it true that one CD could be burned instead of
> DVD? For the
>
> CentOS-5.5-i386-LiveCD-Release2.iso<http://ftp.iitm.ac.in/centos/5.5/isos/i386/CentOS-5.5-i386-LiveCD-Release2.iso>

This is the 'live' CD.  It is a standalone version of the system that
can be booted from the CD.  It is NOT an installer disk.

> Please let me know if it is the complete OS for one CD? Further there are 7
> parts in bin download
> files(CentOS-5.5-i386-bin-1of7.iso<http://ftp.iitm.ac.in/centos/5.5/isos/i386/CentOS-5.5-i386-bin-1of7.iso>)
> such seven parts, that are not required or not for 32 bit? Only the link:
>
>  CentOS-5.5-i386-LiveCD-Release2.iso<http://ftp.iitm.ac.in/centos/5.5/isos/i386/CentOS-5.5-i386-LiveCD-Release2.iso>
>
> is having complete OS 5.5 for 32 bit, but where could be obtained the
> torrent link for this particular file?

There are 7 CDs, that together contain the *complete* O/S.  For most
installs you don't need ALL 7, but other than a bare minimualist system
you will need several.  The whole O/S is on the *one* DVD.  If you have
a fast internet connection (and your network card is supported), you
could download the 'net install' CD and install over the network.

Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933 / heller at deepsoft.com