[CentOS] Troubles for an non-IT beginner

Sun Jan 16 19:32:24 UTC 2011
Digimer <linux at alteeve.com>

On 01/16/2011 01:43 PM, Parshwa Murdia wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 16, 2011 at 6:40 PM, Digimer <linux at alteeve.com
> <mailto:linux at alteeve.com>> wrote:
>
>     If your computer has a 64-bit CPU then you can use x86_64. This makes it
>     easier to access memory above 3GB, and many new applications are now
>     available in 64-bit. If your CPU is older, it may only support 32-bit.
>     In this case, you must use the i386 (i686) release. Some commercially
>     ported applications, like Adobe's Flash player, work best in 32-bit.
>

> My computer is 32 bit and has 2 GB of RAM with 250 GB of HDD which I
> want to have with Cent OS.
>

>     If you are completely new to Linux, may I suggest you start with Fedora
>     or Ubuntu? CentOS is a wonderful distrobution, but it is aimed at
>     somewhat more advanced used. It is also designed for servers, so the
>     software is much older (and more well tested). One of the downsides of
>     this is that the latest version, 5.5, may not support some of your newer
>     hardware.
>

> Fedora and Ubuntu doesn't have stability and for all the family members,
> once they are familiar with, they should work at that but Fedora expires
> soon (searched at net), so for stability and all factors, Cent OS would
> be good, i Guess so! It could be used for home PCs too, I hope so.
>

>     In Linux, each distribution focuses on particular needs. Most generally,
>     you have a split between server-oriented distributions (CentOS, RHEL,
>     Debian, etc) and desktop-oriented distributions (Fedora, Ubuntu, etc).
>     The newer distributions will have much better hardware support,
>     applications with the latest features and will generally be much more
>     user friendly.
>
>     Enjoy your venture into Linux! I came to Linux about ten years ago and
>     have never looked back. After ten prior years in the Windows world,
>     Linux made computers fun again. :)
>

> Can you provide me the direct link for torrent of Cent OS 5.5 (one CD is
> enough?)

I'd have to search through the CentOS mirror list to find it. Given the
geographic spread of the mirrors though, you would be best served to
search yourself for one near you.

As for distro stability, it is true that Fedora/Ubuntu is not *as*
stable as CentOS, but I use Fedora for my daily use laptop (I'm a
sysadmin/programmer) and I've never had a major issue. By all means, try
CentOS, but if you run into problems, please give Fedora or Ubuntu a try
before abandoning Linux. They are much more up to date and have a much
nicer user experience and hardware support.

--
Digimer
E-Mail: digimer at alteeve.com
AN!Whitepapers: http://alteeve.com