[CentOS] nvidia failure with new kernel

Mon Jan 17 18:39:28 UTC 2011
Michael D. Berger <m_d_berger_1900 at yahoo.com>

I installed TrueCrypt and when I ran it, it informed me that I needed
a new kernel.  So I ran "yum update".  I boot to level 3, and when
I ran startx, I got:

(==) Using config file: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf"
FATAL: Module nvidia not found.
(EE) NVIDIA: Failed to load the NVIDIA kernel module. Please check your
(EE) NVIDIA:     system's kernel log for additional error messages.
(EE) Failed to load module "nvidia" (module-specific error, 0)
(EE) No drivers available.

Fatal server error:
no screens found
XIO:  fatal IO error 104 (Connection reset by peer) on X server ":0.0"
      after 0 requests (0 known processed) with 0 events remaining.

--

If I boot with the old kernel, I can successfully run startx.

Thanks for your help.
Mike.