[CentOS] nvidia failure with new kernel

Mon Jan 17 20:08:11 UTC 2011
Michael D. Berger <m_d_berger_1900 at yahoo.com>

On Mon, 17 Jan 2011 19:07:03 +0000, Ned Slider wrote:

> On 17/01/11 18:44, Jason Brown wrote:
>> The kernel modules are only for that kernel, so anytime you update it
>> you also have to reinstall the nvidia drivers.
>>

> Alternatively, you could use the nvidia driver packages from elrepo.org:
>
> http://elrepo.org/tiki/kmod-nvidia
>
> which are kABI-tracking kmod packages that work seamlessly over a kernel
> update. They even work with the new 5.6 kernel and there are packages
> for el6 too.
>
> If you do decide to switch to the elrepo packages, please make sure you
> *uninstall* the current NVIDIA provided driver first. The page above has
> details on how to do that.
>
> Hope that helps.

After looking at the recommended web site, I did the uninstall,
and then ran:

yum --disablerepo=\* --enablerepo=elrepo install kmod-nvidia nvidia-x11-
drv 2>&1 | tee el.log

I got:
  Loaded plugins: fastestmirror
  Error getting repository data for elrepo, repository not found

It seems that there may be another step.

Thanks for your help.
Mike.