[CentOS] Intel DH67BL + CentOS 5.5 IRQ #177 nobody cared

Wed Jan 19 18:33:07 UTC 2011
Drew Weaver <drew.weaver at thenap.com>

On Wednesday, January 19, 2011 12:35:18 pm Drew Weaver wrote:
> The kernel boots fine, and everything works ok until you unplug the monitor from the DVI port on the motherboard.
>
> When you unplug the monitor, that IRQ/ACPI message is displayed, and it screws up the USB and the e1000 card in the system.
>
> These machines aren't always headless, sometimes we need to plug monitors into them.

Can you disable the video card's use of an IRQ?  I've seen that before, where the video card had an IRQ whether the driver needed it or not.

If you use a DVI to VGA/analog adapter and unplug an analog monitor, does it still happen?
It doesn't look like there is an option to assign an IRQ to this card or not.

If I use a DVI-VGA adapter and leave the adapter connected but unplug the vga cord from the adapter it still freaks out.

It looks like Intel is trying to be handy and detect the state of the video port, but it's really freaking annoying it turns out =)

Just FYI, I tried this on RHEL 6 and Debian 5 as well, and it does the exact same thing.

Motherboard doesn't support Linux so I am guessing Intel has no interest in fixing this problem, but just a cautionary tale to everyone =)

-Drew