[CentOS] How to disable screen locking system-wide?

Thu Jan 20 10:00:50 UTC 2011
John Hodrien <J.H.Hodrien at leeds.ac.uk>

On Thu, 20 Jan 2011, Rudi Ahlers wrote:

> I don't know about you, but a user leaving his desk (for any purpose,
> other than going home) doesn't cause a security risk. I trust all our
> staff, and when Andrew goes on lunch I expect him to leave his PC
> unlocked.

I think I see things differently.  Allowing others to access your account *is*
a security risk.  It potentially opens confidential data open to other people,
and leaves that specific user open to abuse through people using their
machine.  You might as well just pin your passwords on the notice board and be
done.  After all, you trust all your staff.

> 2. If a client, which Andrew was busy with phones in, I or one of the
> other staff members would need access to that work.

That's a data storage issue.  Appropriate software systems should ensure you
have access to the data you need from your own account.  Anyone's free to use
my machine while I'm not there, but they're certainly not free to use my
login.

> So, in such a  case I do think the OP has a valid question and it
> could be addressed more professionally than to restart X, or even the
> PC just to prove a point.
>
> P.S. And I don't know the answer either.....

For gnome how about something like:

gconftool-2 --direct \
--config-source xml:readwrite:/etc/gconf/gconf.xml.mandatory --type bool \
--set /apps/gnome-screensaver/lock_enabled false

jh