[CentOS] cloning a server

Thu Jan 20 21:11:34 UTC 2011
Joseph L. Casale <jcasale at activenetwerx.com>

>I guess what I was asking for is to take a already configured server and put
>it on multiple CD's DVD's and then use that to install on another server.

Given that that will take some leg work, I accomplish the same thing by making
a long %post section in a kickstart that runs various sed commands etc. This survives
point releases and is much more maintainable than your original idea, plus a
new server is updated from the start [1] eliminating any *.rpmnew files you might
get when updating right after deployment. When this happens, you tweak your
one ks script and its now working for each new deployment versus starting over
again...

YMMV,
jlc

[1] That of course speculates that you install from the net with a base and repo line.