[CentOS] Is it okay?

Fri Jan 21 18:52:29 UTC 2011
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

On 1/21/2011 12:22 PM, Lamar Owen wrote:

> I'll let the following speak for itself.  Read it carefully. It's from a running machine.
> # cat /etc/redhat-release
> Red Hat Linux release 5.2 (Apollo)
> # uname -a
> Linux localhost.localdomain 2.0.36 #3 Fri Apr 9 15:36:11 EDT 1999 i586 unknown
> # date
> Fri Jan 21 13:15:04 EST 2011
> #
>
> What's that about 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it' at least with boxes that don't have a direct Internet connection......and this box is doing its job, and doing it well, and with the features that meet the need.  Yes, it's had a hard drive replacement, a motherboard/CPU replacement, among other things.... but even back in those days cloning drives was somewhat common.....

RH 7.3 was my 'run forever' version - using the update stream from
freshrpms while it lasted.  I had one run of 4+ years of uptime,
interrupted by a server room move, then about that long again before
office changes made it obsolete.  It was nice to have DHCP/DNS, mail,
etc., on a box that was reliable.  Incidentally, I think that was the
only version where the stock RH build of mod_perl was done right and
they proceeded to break it again in RH8.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com