[CentOS] ifcfg-rh: error: Unknown connection type 'Bridge'

Sun Jan 23 07:46:13 UTC 2011
Tom H <tomh0665 at gmail.com>

On Sat, Jan 22, 2011 at 11:28 PM, Nico Kadel-Garcia <nkadel at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 22, 2011 at 5:32 PM, Gordon Messmer <yinyang at eburg.com> wrote:
>> On 01/21/2011 07:41 PM, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
>>>
>>> NetworkManager is utterly useless for server grade work, such as pair
>>> bonding and bridges. It may be helpful for wireless management or
>>> modem connections, but I find it safer to to rip it *out* on CentOS 4
>>> and CentOS 5, and urge turning it off by whatever means are feasible
>>> for RHEL 6 or CentOS 6 when it comes out.
>>
>> Turning it off on CentOS 6 and current versions of Fedora is
>> accomplished by the same means it always has been:
>>
>> chkconfig NetworkManager off
>> chkconfig network on
>
> The key to *keeping* it off in RHEL 6, and I assume in CentOS 6, is
> the setting NM_CONTROLLED="no" in the
> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-* files. This is a new setting in
> RHEL 6, and I'm having difficulty finding documentation for it, but it
> seems to work in keeping NetworkManager's greedy little paws off my
> stable settings.

In both the RH and FP docs, the only reference that I've found is in
this section:
http://docs.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/6/html/Virtualization/sect-Virtualization-Network_Configuration-Bridged_networking_with_libvirt.html

RHEL 5 has a similar section so it's not a new setting, just a
not-well-documented one (like a DNS or DHCP one that you referred to
recently).