[CentOS] Recommendation for a Linux alternative to Centos - ATH9K disaster

Tue Jan 25 18:36:37 UTC 2011
Always Learning <centos at g7.u22.net>

Brian Mathis wrote:

> CentOS is great for servers,

I agree. I have 2 VPS and two desktop servers on it.

> but absolutely not for a new person
> you're trying to get to try Linux.  This approach actually hurts Linux
> since people think "oh I tried Linux and it sucked".

The only thing that 'sucks' is M$ Windoze. M$ is declining. It is time
the European Commission breaks the Windoze on every new computer cartel.
With 43 years computer experience I loath Windoze and the horrible
experience of trying to make what should be a very simple configuration
change. Most of the world uses Linux.

I started as a new Linux user with Centos and it was a very step
learning curve but I persevered and benefited from the experience.

> Ubuntu is the way to go for this, and I would at least start from a
> LiveCD (though it is slow) and work from there.  VirtualBox is a good
> next step from the LiveCD, as almost no one wants to be dual-booting.

Thanks for the Ubuntu recommendation. I tend to buy the DVD's and
install from them. I have VBox running Win98SE on a Centos desktop
because I want to run software and applications from 1992 (my own DOS
Cobol database) which also runs in DosBox, 1993 (my customised Ami Pro
3) and 1999 (Acrobat Exchange 4) easier than PDFedit.

With best regards,

Paul.
GB.