[CentOS] Recommendation for a Linux alternative to Centos - ATH9K disaster

Tue Jan 25 18:42:55 UTC 2011
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

On 1/25/2011 12:18 PM, Always Learning wrote:

>> An alternative I've used is to install VMware Workstation on top of
>> Windows and install Linux into a VM. Running fullscreen the practical
>> difference is nil. Then you by and large get the laptop hardware support
>> gratis from the windows layer including things like wireless and video
>> drivers drivers.
>
> I'll keep that as a back-up option.

I've forgotten how I did it now (and searching for a current reference
would be better anyway) but my laptop has a bootable ubuntu partition
(because Centos didn't see the wireless card) that I can also run under
vmware player without rebooting.  And I also have a Centos VM in an
image file.  The VMs use NAT networking and piggyback on whatever
connect the host has.

I think I installed vmware server to configure things, then removed it
and installed player, but that might not be necessary with the current
version of player.

I don't think you can match windows sleep mode on Centos - not sure
about current Ubuntu.  I normally just close the lid with applications
open, and when I open it again it wakes up in seconds and adapts to the
current network connection.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com