[CentOS] Recommendation for a Linux alternative to Centos - ATH9K disaster

Tue Jan 25 19:55:10 UTC 2011
Keith Roberts <keith at karsites.net>

On Tue, 25 Jan 2011, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:

> From: m.roth at 5-cent.us
> Subject: Re: [CentOS] Recommendation for a Linux alternative to Centos - ATH9K
>      disaster
>
> Always Learning wrote:
> <snip>
>> After 8 hours on Saturday I could sometimes see hubs in the
>> neighbourhood but could not connect to my own hub using WPA2.
>>
>> 	iwlist wlan0 scan
>>
>> produced technical details of local hubs - but still could not connect.
>> NetworkManager sometimes froze.
>>
>> Spent many hours Googling for his wifi adaptor Altheros AR928K which
>> uses a driver known as ATH9K.  Many others have had a similar problem.
>> Kernel 2.6.27 apparently includes this driver but Centos 5.5 is 2.6.18.

I came from Fedora 10 to Centos, and the learning curve was
basically a flat line. Using Centos is like stepping back in
time to FC8 for me.

So I recommend Fedora as it's cutting edge, and I had no
major problems apart from not being able to print from Java
apps - but that got sorted a long time ago AFAIR.

Kind Regards,

Keith

Websites:
http://www.karsites.net