[CentOS] Recommendation for a Linux alternative to Centos - ATH9K disaster

Wed Jan 26 06:01:41 UTC 2011
Always Learning <centos at g7.u22.net>

On Tue, 2011-01-25 at 14:49 -0500, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:

> Benjamin Smith wrote:
>
> > On my hard disk, I have my /home, /boot, and / directories each on their
> > own partitions, and when I'm upgrading my Fedora, I just format / and
> /boot,
> > and leave /home alone. Although I've transfered it a few times between hard

> Yep. ALWAYS have /home on its own partition. You *might* want /opt on its
> own, also. For more on my views on this, here's my copy of the article I
> had published a few years ago in SysAdmin (now defunct, unfortunately)
> <http://24.5-cent.us/upgrading_linux.doc>

Thanks for the good advice. I wondered why the installer gave those
choices. Now it makes sense.  All my production data resides on /data
and I tend to leave the standard directories alone but I did create
a /root/bin and put in it simple commands like

.l
	# /bin/bash
	ls -al

.f
	# /bin/bash
	find / -iwholename *$1

.fs
	# /bin/bash
	find /data -iwholename *$1
	find /ax -iwholename *$1
	find /bx -iwholename *$1
	find /cx -iwholename *$1

Obviously with the chmod +x.  The last one makes searching times much
faster when seeking non-operating system files.

Because I'm lazy or perhaps because I firmly believe the computer should
do the work for the people not vice versa, I did some links (ln -s) for
service and some copies of ipt tables etc. so I can quickly type

	sv ipt status

	ipt -I .....

	ipt -nvL

Command lines are like what computers used to be like. You know with a
fast but noisy Teletype banging-out text at 75 baud or a luxury terminal
running at a staggeringly fast 300 baud giving a top speed of 30
characters a second.

--

With best regards,

Paul.