[CentOS] OT: Recommendations for a virtual storage server

Fri Jan 28 17:25:45 UTC 2011
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

On 1/28/2011 3:55 AM, carlopmart wrote:
> Hi all,
>
>    I need to install a virtual machine acting as a virtual storage server under
> CentOS 5.x (using kvm, xen, virtualbox or vmware). This virtual storage machine
> needs to server storage to another ESXi server and at the same time to the host
> where is installed.
>
>    This is due to the limitations of hardware I have available. Both hosts needs to
> server several machines.
>
>    It is very important that the virtual machine consumes the least resources
> possible (host has 5GB RAM and i need to run three virtual machines minimum,
> including this storage server as a virtual machine).

What's the point of adding an extra virtual layer compared to an nfs or
iscsi share from the host (nfs if it is shared, iscsi if it is the VM
image store)?  This seems like it would be more efficient if you run
exsi on the hardware with centos and the others as guests anyway.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com