[CentOS] Amazon EC2 - building a minimal centOS ebs bootable image

Sat Jan 29 10:05:16 UTC 2011
Sanjay Arora <sanjay.k.arora at gmail.com>

Basically what Mathieu is wishing me luck for ;-)

I want to create a server which I can use while in development stage,
use as a main image, copy of which I can instantiate as a base image,
build a apache webserver app image or a qmail mail-server image or a
workgroup /db / crm image etc......upgrade to an upper instance when I
feel the micro instance is too tight a fit for the given use.

I don't have the resources to configure a dynamic ami to my specific
requirements everytime. I'd rather create various images, spend some
time everyday/week to update them, instantiate a copy of them whenever
I need....just so when I save that all updates, changes to
configuration etc. persist in that copy of instance.

At this stage, I am just creating my infrastructure, I don't need to
run any image 24 hours, just for the period I am working on it. A
static server would be the best bet but can't be as cost effective as
Amazon....and I am on a shoestring budget.