[CentOS] How to relocate $HOME directory

Mon Jan 31 18:19:13 UTC 2011
Paul Heinlein <heinlein at madboa.com>

On Mon, 31 Jan 2011, Soo-Hyun Choi wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> As you know, $HOME is generally located at "/home/$username" by default.
>
> I would like to re-locate all users' $HOME directories to something
> like "/export/home/$username" without having a hassle/trouble.
>
> Initially, I've thought of just copying them to the new directory
> (under /export/home/xxx), but guessed it might trouble for the
> normal use (I'm pretty new to CentOS, although many experiences with
> Debian/Ubuntu).
>
> Is there any good tricks (or caveats) when moving users' home
> directory cleanly with CentOS? (I'm with CentOS 5.5 x86_64)

For the sake of argument, I'm going to assume that your current /home
and the new /export/home are on separate disks or partitions. That is,
you need to make a full copy of the existing directories rather than
just renaming them.

The following instructions should all be done as root.

1. rsync -av --delete /home/ /export/home/

2. Edit /etc/default/useradd so that HOME=/export/home

3. Run /usr/sbin/genhomedircon

4. Verify the change in

    /etc/selinux/<<SELINUXTYPE>>/contexts/files/file_contexts.homedirs

5. Make sure that /export/home has the right contect:

    semanage fcontext -a -t home_root_t /export/home

6. Run fixfiles to see if anything is amiss:

    /sbin/fixfiles check /export/home

    If something fixfile reports errors, use it to fix things:

    /sbin/fixfiles restore /export/home

7. Disable user logins (including your own).

8. Update /etc/password with new $HOME definitions

9. Re-run rsync, if necessary, to catch last-minute changes:

    rsync -av --delete /home/ /export/home/

10. Make the older /home/* directories unreadable.

11. Enable user logins

12. Tell your users emphatically that they should use $HOME anywhere
     they're tempted to hardwire their home directory path into a
     script. :-)