[CentOS] yum update troubles

Tue Jan 4 20:42:38 UTC 2011
Benjamin Franz <jfranz at freerun.com>

On 01/04/2011 11:48 AM, Luigi Rosa wrote:
> --
> I am not a Perl expert, but in my experience the packages installed with CPAN
> and with RPM does not overwrite each other. CPAN stores the libraries in a
> different directory in which Perl looks for libraries before than looking for
> the libraries downloaded with RPM.
>
> This is according my experience, but some Perl installation expert will be able
> to clarify this issue.

Right up until an update for Perl itself is pushed - and then you will
find all your packages gone. If you need to tweek, use cpan2rpm to
generate rpms. I've generally found the issues are tied to man files -
so if you suppress the man file generation in the spec and stick with
perldoc for a module's documentation you can generally work around the
conflicts.

--
Benjamin Franz