[CentOS] recursively find duplicate filenames

Wed Jan 5 23:39:28 UTC 2011
Mark <mhullrich at gmail.com>

On Wed, Jan 5, 2011 at 9:46 AM,  <m.roth at 5-cent.us> wrote:
> S Mathias wrote:
>> "duplicate filenames"
>>
>> -> duplicate filenames
>>
> Please don't top post.
>
> Now, a) you can't have identical filenames in the same directory, so shall
> I assume that you're looking for all files under one heirarchical
> directory structure that have the same name? If so,
>
> find $1 -name $2 -ls
>
> would give you all files of the same name. If, instead, you only needed to
> know how many of each, you could
> find $1 -name $2 | wc -l

Mark, don't waste your time on this twit - he cross posts to multiple
lists, usually asking questions that are quite clearly basic shell or
other utility programming questions that look more like school-work
than anything else, he never thanks anyone for their answers and he
seems to think we are here solely to do his school/home work for him.

I've yet to see a single question from him on any of the lists to
which he posts which had anything directly to do with the list topics
- here it would be CentOS specific questions.  They're all basic,
general programming questions that a thorough reading of the
applicable man page would answer just fine.