[CentOS] centos 5.5 install + intel raid

Thu Jan 6 02:55:14 UTC 2011
aurfalien at gmail.com <aurfalien at gmail.com>

On Jan 5, 2011, at 6:09 PM, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 5, 2011 at 8:36 PM,  <aurfalien at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Installing 5.5 on a fresh system having an Intel RAID.
>>
>> My 2 drives are configured as a mirror within the Intel BIOS.
>
> "Intel RAID" covers a lot of sins.

Yes, I like this, and a lot of BS.

> Some RAID cards rely on OS software
> to do much of the RAID: they're jokes, really. If it's a real RAID
> chipset, no Linux or Windows kernel should even be *AWARE* of the
> multiple disks, except perhaps for some limited reporting tools.
>
> Exactly which chipset are you dealing with? On what kind of machine.

Instead of typing this;

>> linux text nodmraid

I used this;

linux text smenodmraid

... and all is well.

Although I've a feeling that just installing in text mode rather than
GUI would have been enough.

My specs;

Supermicro X8DT3-LN4F with the Intel 5520 chipset.