[CentOS] Corrupted RPM DB can't be rebuilt.

Sat Jan 8 05:44:34 UTC 2011
Nico Kadel-Garcia <nkadel at gmail.com>

On Fri, Jan 7, 2011 at 10:11 PM, Camron W. Fox <cwfox at us.fujitsu.com> wrote:
> Alle,
>
>        I have a major problem. I'm running CentOS 5.5 on some rather old
> hardware (Dual Celeron 500MHz with 768MB of memory). Sometime in the
> last week, the DB became corrupted (I noticed when yum update would hang).
>        I've tried running rpm --rebuild with both the 2.6.18-194.17.4 and
> 2.6.18-194.26.1 kernels and get a segmentation fault each time.

This has little, if anything, to do with the kernel itself unless your
hardware drivers are seriously mangled.

Can you get an "rpm -qav" report without errors? If so, can you
re-install all the RPM's manually with a "--replacepkgs" option?

>        Consequently, I'm pretty much stuck and cannot do any update. Also, the
> machine has a tendency to hang any time operations are done. I've
> disabled some of the cronjobs that do this, but this is no way to operate.

Time to back up your configurations and rebuild, if that's feasible.
Your last /var/log/rpmpkgs that was valid should be a helpful
guideline for packages to re-install as part of a new deployment.