[CentOS] Network Scanner and CentOS 5.5

Sat Jan 8 16:05:49 UTC 2011
Scott Robbins <scottro at nyc.rr.com>

On Sat, Jan 08, 2011 at 10:51:41AM -0500, David McGuffey wrote:

> I have an HP Photosmart 3210 All-in-One color printer.  Printing works
> great, but I cannot get xsane to locate it on the local subnet.
>
> I've been to the sane site and looked at the backends. The HP 3210 is
> supported by hpio and there is a note that hpio is no longer needed
> because the functionality has been rolled int hplip. yum shows hplip is
> installed:
> hplip.x86_64     1.6.7-4.1.el5.4     installed
>
> Everything is on an internal nat address space.  Host is at .1,
> Photosmart is at .251

I've found that in both RH/CentOS and Fedora, the hplip seems to be
broken.  Haven't looked into why.  It works with printers, but seems to
regularly fail with scanners.  I know rpmforge also had an rpm--I gave
it one try when it was first released, it didn't work with the scanner,
so I just went back to using the source tarball from hplip.

Insert warnings about don't use something that isn't an rpm and so on.

You can look at my
http://home.roadrunner.com/~computertaijutsu/hplip.html

which goes into installing it from the hplip source.

Unfortunately, hplip's site has been offline now for quite awhile,
don't know what the story is.  However, they have a link to download the
source, the only thing that my article is missing is that they said to
uninstall hplip and hpijs with rpm -e.  They might have said uninstall a
few other things too, but you'll find out if you see that you can't
install something because of a conflict.

> I've gone through several sets of guidance found on the Intenet. Almost
> all is for usb or scsi. Very little guidance on sane-net. Finally found
> one good set of guidance and followed it to configure dll.conf, and
> net.conf.  I've looked at sane.net man page untill I'm cross-eyed.

Missed mine, I guess, or it'd be working.  :)

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6

Anya: Men like sports. I'm sure of it.
Xander: Yes. Men like sports. Men watch the action movie, they
eat of the beef, and they enjoy to look at the bosoms. A thousand
years of avenging our wrongs, and that's all you've learned?