[CentOS] latest kernel - version question

Sun Jan 9 23:53:47 UTC 2011
Cia Watson <ciamarie at my180.net>

On Sun, 9 Jan 2011 14:54:21 -0500
Robert Heller <heller at deepsoft.com> wrote:

> At Sun, 09 Jan 2011 11:19:22 -0800 CentOS mailing list
> <centos at centos.org> wrote:
>

> > On 01/09/11 11:09 AM, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
> > > And highly, highly recommended to use a kernel optimized for i686
> > > if that's your real architecture: there's a big performance
> > > difference.
> >
> > since the last mainstream i586 CPU was the original Pentium
> > (60-133Mhz) and Pentium/MMX (up to 200Mhz?), and everything since
> > Pentium Pro, including Pentium-II and newer, has been i686, its a
> > no brainer.
>
> Don't forget AMD's K6 processors -- these are also i586 processors.

I have an AMD K6 that won't boot Fedora 7 (or later) due to missing
some bit of architecture (I forget specifics, sorry...). So I suspect
it's not truly an i586 processor? (fwiw, It did boot and install Linux
Mint 9, LXDE however.)

I didn't know the difference 10 years ago when I bought it, though it
had Win98 installed which was fine back then... Now it's barely
adequate as a print server.