[CentOS] Set font and size in xterm

Mon Jan 10 17:14:16 UTC 2011
James B. Byrne <byrnejb at harte-lyne.ca>

On Fri, January 7, 2011 15:00, Bill Campbell wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 07, 2011, James B. Byrne wrote:
>>I have attempted to set the font size using xrdb and a custom
>>.Xresources file.  I can change the colour scheme.  I can create a
>>scrollbar.  I can move the scrollbar to either the right or left
>>window margin.  What I cannot do is to change the font size.
>
> An easier way to handle this is to create a $HOME/XTerm file
> which will be used each time an xterm is started.  I'm including
> mine which sets a large font and several other options I like.

I copied your file into my home directory as ~/XTerm and took a look
at its contents.  As far as I can see you did not intend for me to
make any alterations to it to begin with.

With this file in place and ~/.Xresources renamed to
~/Xresources.test I started xterm from a gnome terminal. There were
several changes in behaviour, so I infer that the file is recognized
and loaded by xterm.  However, the font size remains unchanged.  I
suspect that there is something wrong with the xfont configuation on
this system since xfontsel can only see four fonts and there are
literally dozens available.  Since xterm apparently only knows about
four fonts then it cannot be altered to use any other.

How do I get xterm to recognize the availability of these additional
fonts?

Canada  L8E 3C3