[CentOS] LiveCD System recovery - Mounting LVM?

Tue Jan 11 17:49:52 UTC 2011
Johan Martinez <jmartiee at gmail.com>

On Sat, Jan 8, 2011 at 7:17 PM, Johan Martinez <jmartiee at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Jan 8, 2011 at 3:50 PM, Lamar Owen <lowen at pari.edu> wrote:
>
>> On Saturday, January 08, 2011 04:27:39 pm Johan Martinez wrote:
>>
>> > Now I am booting of CentOS live cd for system restore. I recreated
>> > partitions like previous system using fdisk and then used dd to dump all
>> the
>> > data onto it. I would like to mount sda2 as LVM, but I don't know how to
>> do
>> > that. Any steps or howto mount LVM manually would be really helpful. I
>> think
>> > I can recover the system once I am able to access sda1 and sda2. Any
>> help?
>>
>> pvscan
>> vgscan
>> vgchange -ay
>> lvscan
>>
>> (It has been awhile since I have done this; I know the vgchange -ay is
>> required, but I don't recall if pvscan and lvscan were required or if I just
>> used them for information....but I do think the vgscan was required.)
>>
>> In the lvscan output you should see the logical volumes; mount to the
>> desired mountpoint with
>> mount  /dev/VOLUMEGROUP/LOGICALVOLUME MOUNTPOINT
>>
>> Or you can reboot the CentOS disk in rescue mode and have it find your
>> system as part of its bootup.  In that case your system will be mounted
>> under /mnt/sysimage and you can do a 'chroot /mnt/sysimage' and essentially
>> get a command line inside that system.
>>
>> Hope that helps.
>>

> Thanks for the reply Lamar and Robert.
>
> I had tried pvscan and vgscan before sending out my first mail, but it
> didn't show up any physical volumes and vol grpups.
>
> I didn't do lvscan though.
>
> I will try again and see how it goes.
>
> jM.

I can see PVs sda1 and sda2 with pvscan, but they are not getting mounted as
lvm. Also, I see sda2 listed as LVM although I didn't partition it that way.
e.g. fdisk shows it as Linux type and pvscan is showing it as lvm2. That's
somewhat confusing me.

Also, the real problem for me is recovery. I don't see LVM mounted after
doing vgscan and lvscan. Am I missing something here? Any help?

Thanks you..
jM