[CentOS] ext4 or XFS

Tue Jan 11 18:59:59 UTC 2011
Joshua Baker-LePain <jlb17 at duke.edu>

On Tue, 11 Jan 2011 at 1:49pm, Digimer wrote

> On 01/11/2011 01:47 PM, aurfalien at gmail.com wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I've a 30TB hardware based RAID array.
>>
>> Wondering what you all thought of using ext4 over XFS.
>>
>> I've been a big XFS fan for years as I'm an Irix transplant but would
>> like your opinions.
>>
>> This 30TB drive will be an NFS exported asset for my users housing
>> home dirs and other frequently accessed files.
>>

> You will need XFS for a single partition that large. You won't be able
> to make such a large ext4 partition, I don't think.

This is correct.  While ext4 theoretically supports volumes (much) larger
than 16TB, the developers don't think it's production ready yet and the
userspace tools don't support it yet.

So, short answer -- XFS is the only way to go.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
QB3 Shared Cluster Sysadmin