[CentOS] ext4 or XFS

Tue Jan 11 20:40:19 UTC 2011
Lamar Owen <lowen at pari.edu>

On Tuesday, January 11, 2011 01:47:33 pm aurfalien at gmail.com wrote:
> I've a 30TB hardware based RAID array.
>
> Wondering what you all thought of using ext4 over XFS.

XFS.  But make sure you're using a 64-bit CentOS.  32-bit CentOS (at least C5 of six months or so ago) will in fact run mkfs.xfs on that large of a device; however, the filesystem will silently fail and will no longer mount when you get over 16TB of data.  Been there, done that, with C5 32 bit kernel.  Reassigned the RDM's containing the PV's for the volumegroup containing the logical volume to a VM running 64-bit C5 and things are fine.

There are other issues with XFS on 32-bit kernel as well, but I've not run into those.  Best to use 64-bit.

I'm using ext4 on less than 16TB filesystems, though, with good success.