[CentOS] Kernel Errors Present

Thu Jan 13 08:11:28 UTC 2011
Keith Roberts <keith at karsites.net>

On Thu, 13 Jan 2011, Tsuyoshi Nagata wrote:

> From: Tsuyoshi Nagata <nagata3333333 at jp.fujitsu.com>
> Subject: Re: [CentOS] Kernel Errors Present
>
> Hi Keith
> (2011/01/13 6:39), Keith Roberts wrote:
>> hde:  dma_intr: error=0x84 { DriveStat ...:  12 Time(s)
>> hde:  dma_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete
> The first error is data transmitting error. Your HARD DRIVE have
> a data transmitting error or malfunction on transmitting path without
> disk.
> (The trouble is on memory, chip set, IDE-cable, HDD-Circuit(DMA). HDD
> dish is OK.)
> DMA I/O was designed with 2 separated unit (control-unit and data-unit)
> The trouble is on control-unit part.
>
> Vivard/smartctl only explains your data-unit is OK.
>
>> > dma_intr: error=0x84 { DriveStatusError BadCRC }
>> > http://www.mail-archive.com/debian-user@lists.debian.org/msg128610.html

Thanks for all that information Tsuyoshi.

I have turned off dma for this drive with:

[root at karsites hde]# hdparm -d0 /dev/hde

/dev/hde:
  setting using_dma to 0 (off)
  using_dma    =  0 (off)

[root at karsites hde]# hdparm -d /dev/hde

/dev/hde:
  using_dma    =  0 (off)

I'll watch and see how things go now.

Kind Regards,