[CentOS] Recompiling source rpms for i386, i686 and x86_64 on the same box?

Thu Jan 13 12:29:47 UTC 2011
Mister IT Guru <misteritguru at gmx.com>

On 13/01/2011 12:12, JohnS wrote:
> On Thu, 2011-01-13 at 10:25 +0000, Mister IT Guru wrote:
>> At the risk of sounding like an newbie, is is possible to build the RPMS
>> for all architectures on the same box at the same time?
> That would be dependent upon your build environment and how you set it up.
> As in a mock based chroot or a Non-Root build system along with cross-compiler tools etc.
> Takes a lot of planing to go along with it also.
I am prepared to build a seperate machine specifically for this purpose.
It'll be a 64 bit instance, which I am assuming should have no problem
compiling for 32 bit systems? I have heard of the mock project, but I
have not looked into it for a while. I guess that will be my first port
of call.

> For the 3 arches you want they could all be done under mock in a x86_64
> environment. Under Non-Root x86_64 Multilib arch machine can be done also with great care
> in how you choose your devel packages.
>
> Automation could be done with a wrapper script setup, really easy to do.
> Sometimes you just can not automate every part of it so I would not
> expect that.  You would need to do manual checks on the outcome of the
> srpm and the binary or build a unit test framework.
>
> John
Thanks John, Unit Test Framework - Hmmm, I like the way your thinking,
then I suppose I could use it for more than just one source code
project. I think this is getting just a touch off topic, but should
still be relevant to the sysadmins in the house? hehe

--
The Solo System Admin - Follow me - I follow you
http://solosysad.blogspot.com/