[CentOS] Yum packages error.

Fri Jan 14 15:17:04 UTC 2011

Lisandro Grullon wrote:
> Dear group,
> Last night I was playing around with my home desktop trying to get the
> sound to work and somehow I broke some dependencies, now yum update would
> not run. Can someone help me troubleshoot this. This is the output I am
> getting from yum update. Thank you in advance.
<MVNCH>
> Error: Missing Dependency: libasound.so.2(ALSA_0.9) is needed by package
> gstreamer-plugins-base-0.10.20-3.0.1.el5_3.i386 (installed)
>  You could try using --skip-broken to work around the problem
>  You could try running: package-cleanup --problems
>                         package-cleanup --dupes
>                         rpm -Va --nofiles --nodigest

yum runs, it's just telling you that there are unresolved dependencies.
First, I think I'd clean all; then, it may be that you need to add another
repository. Finally, you might have to uninstall some stuff, then try to
reinstall - I'd do the topmost level (the audio player, say), and let it
decide what all it needed....

         mark